Third annual Clinic on Dynamical Approaches to Infectious Disease Data
December 15-19, 2014, UF Emerging Pathogens Institute, Gainesville, FL, USA
Return to the Main Page.
Return to the Schedule.
SIR Model Family Exercise
- Download a version of the spreadsheet using this link
- Experiment with parameters
- What happens when R0<1 and there are several initial infections? Is this equivalent to having an R0>1? Why or why not?
- What happens when R0 is near 1?
- Can you make two epidemics with the same size and shape, but different speed?
- Try adding more rows (especially important if you change the timestep to be smaller!)
- Can you make two epidemics with the same speed and shape, but different size (fewer total infected individuals)?
- Close the loop: add loss of immunity
- Experiment with parameters (again!)
- What controls the cycle period?
- What controls the equilibrium?
- Are there parameters for which the disease approaches a persistent equilibrium without cycling?